1.) Because it’s not what it used to be. Did you watch the original Queer Eye For the Straight Guy? Did you find it shallow, vapid? Did it feel negative and singularly appearance focused? That was my issue with the show. This new show is markedly different. This revamp of the show is about the whole person. It isn’t about judgment. It is about helping people become their best selves, inside and out. It’s quirky, it’s funny and it just might inspire you to dress and groom and set-up your house in more useful, creative and inspired ways.
The cast was carefully chosen to provide loving advice and patient education to the people they are helping. The new crew is:
- Antoni Porowski is a Polish Canadian chef, actor, model, and television personality who serves as the food and wine expert.
- Karamo Brown is an American television host, reality television personality, and activist. He is the culture expert.
- Bobby James Berk is an American interior designer and reality television personality. He is the design expert.
- Tanweer Wasim “Tan” France is an English fashion designer and television personality. He is the fashion expert.
- Jonathan Van Ness is an American hairdresser, podcaster, and television personality. He is the grooming expert.
2.) We All Could Use a Little Empathy. On the show the men all kinds of different people, many of whom have never spent time around gay men before. One episode features a trans man and Tan is confronted with the fact that he never understood the Trans community. It was through him interacting and becoming friends with a person who had just undergone transformation surgery that he understood for the first time a bit of what the experience must be like.
3.) You Just Might Learn Something. A French Tuck is a thing of beauty and if you don’t know what that means or how the knowledge of it will vastly improve your life THAT ALONE IS ENOUGH REASON TO GIVE THIS SHOW A TRY! It has two seasons, available to stream now on Netflix.